Tuesday 18 December 2012

Council Results in Few Answers

Well, tonight I addressed City Council regarding the many, many questions that came up during my review of what should have been a simple "receive and file" request to Council (See Sunday's post). I am very pleased that I was allowed to speak frankly about the subject, given that I thought perhaps they may want to censor some of the items in my speech. So, for that, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to City Council and the City Clerk's office. I also want to thank most of City Council for being willing to listen tonight with an open mind and an open heart. It was obvious that there were questions that I brought up that even they hadn't considered before tonight.

In the end, however, most of the questions I raised did remain unanswered at the end of the night, and unfortunately I didn't see a single media outlet following up on these very important questions of a project of this magnitude. THESE are the kinds of questions our media should be asking of our Civic government if they want to get a better turnout at the polls. THESE are the kinds of questions that so many people often wonder, but are too afraid to ask, for fear that they may sound dumb or that they should have done their own research. THESE are the kinds of questions that, admittedly, were asked over 12 years ago to City Council, but since that time, it seems that they are less willing to ask the pointed questions because of how the former Mayor and some Council members would ostracize them and threaten loss of business by removing City advertising.

I will continue to follow up on these questions with City Administration until each and every one of them are answered to my satisfaction. I know that a few City Council members seemed to want to know more as well, but since they are newer, they were unsure of exactly how to ask those pointed questions, and afraid to be thought to be out of line. As I have stated before, you can think of me as your "unofficial" opposition to City Council, similar to how the NDP is for provincial politics to the Sask Party. Unfortunately, we don't have an "official" role at City Hall to represent as an advocate for taxpayers (perhaps we should?), so it is up to people like myself and others to ask those tough questions and not give up until they are answered. And, then, like a good "unofficial" opposition member would do, report back to the members of the public, the taxpayers, who want to know.

Finally tonight, I want to make this publicly known, once again, since it seems that no one at City Hall wants to take this matter seriously. If anyone comes to a future Executive Committee or City Council meeting, and I am there to speak, pay very close attention to Councillor Terry Hincks. He continues to provoke and prod at me after I sit down from my delegations. Again, tonight, he took some very cheap shots at me (in a very indirect and subtle way), and once again, pointed to me to take it outside with him. I have made formal complaints with the City Clerk's office, Joni S., but unfortunately, that's as far as it goes. She says she makes the Mayor aware of my concerns, and the Councillor, but unfortunately, there is no "black mark" that goes on his record as being extremely unprofessional on the taxpayer's dime. If you do attend next time, watch for him. Unfortunately, you cannot call a member out of order, as that is not protocol, but perhaps someone can catch his actions on video and share it with me? Or the media? It's just time someone made his childish behaviour public, because if City Hall won't hold him to account, you bet your ass I will do what I can to hold him accountable for his actions.

Anyways, have a great night Regina and I'll post more updates as they come in regarding the questions regarding these kinds of projects!

Have a great Regina week!

No comments:

Post a Comment