Wednesday 16 January 2013

Executive Committee - What Can I Say?

Well, today was one hell of a day. Busy, busy, busy for me as always. Believe it or not, I've spent more time reading in the last week than I have probably most of my life, and sadly, it wasn't a juicy novel, it was a 200 page report that had to do with the Stadium. You bet folks, aren't you jealous? I've been asked, but Chad, why do you spend so much time devoted to this? You didn't get elected and you're not getting paid to do it. My answer always is, because, you know what, I made a solemn promise to those that I spoke to over the course of the election, and while I may not have garnered much support in the popularity contest that is the number of votes, I have garnered for more support simply for being an active person bringing issues like this to the light of folks that generally may not be interested in it. And, I get to speak for those that cannot, like this great couple, aged 89 and 91, that had their daughter email me yesterday thanking me for standing up for them. It's things like that, that make me remember just why I ran in the election in the first place. And, yes, I may not be in the Mayor's seat, and making Six Figures, but so what? Do I NEED to receive a paycheque from the taxpayers to do the work that I very much enjoy doing? Do I NEED a fat paycheque, car allowance, and travel budget to represent the people that spoke out so strongly during the election? NO. I do this because it is my passion, and when I make a promise to folks, that promise doesn't go out the window simply because I didn't win a popularity contest that I had NO CHANCE of winning anyways. (I mean, really, I was David VS Goliath in this campaign, and had NO MONEY versus the MILLIONS that were available to other candidates)

So, today, I continued that good fight for you great citizens of Regina, and made sure that our City Council and Executive Committee (same folks) are being held accountable for their actions. I spoke, very frankly, about the issues that I KNOW they all heard on the doorsteps during the elction. I spoke about the options that they have yet to review from the provincial study. I spoke about how they did a HORRENDOUS job with the City Square Plaza and until they can prove that they have learned from that fuck up (pardon my language), why should ANYONE trust them with a project nearly 50x the size of budget?????? In the end, it was me banging my head against a brick wall, as I certainly expected. But, I can't say I didn't try if I don't show up and present, now can I? There are those trolls (anonymous online folks who can't actually face me with their true identity) out there that think I do this for the attention. All I have to say to them is.....seriously!?!?!? Why the hell would ANYONE put their neck on the line like I have for the last almost year, just for the attention? I know there are those out there who want their 15 minutes of fame, but I am pretty sure there are far better, and less stressful, ways to do just that. If it gets me attention, fine. If it brings attention to issues that otherwise wouldn't get attention, then AWESOME, because THAT right there is the reason I do this. A year ago, how many of you would have even thought about "looking forward" to City Council meetings? Ahhhh!!

So, for now I will leave you with this parting thought. I will post more this weekend I'm sure, but please, please if you do ANYTHING over the next week, re-read the following and let it sink in and research it PLEASE. The more I can inform taxpayers about the TRUTH and not the deliberate LIES that City Council is telling the taxpayers, the better. Again, I provide EVIDENCE of my statements, they do not. You decide who's the one telling the real truth here.

Today, Exec Committee continued to do the same old song and dance and asked "what would the cost be for a renovation to the current stadium?" And the same, dried up answer was "$150 Million, and that would be 100% City Funded, because the province won't fund a renovation."

Just for clarification purposes, the renovation to Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field is nowhere near the $100-150M that the City of Regina continually LIES TO YOU about. Take me at my word, or don't. Call up Mayor Fougere, call up Glen Davies, call up Brent Sjoberg, call up Brad Wall. Ask ANY of them to provide you with DOCUMENTATION that shows the magical $100-150M renovation price tag. And, then ask them to provide you with DOCUMENTATION that states the province would not be willing to provide any funding for a renovation. The reality is, folks, they have NOTHING to give you, and why? Because the reality is, if you review the provincial study (http://www.cicorp.sk.ca/publications/cic_corporate/2010/other_reports), there are FOUR OPTIONS. The City of Regina has only, very haphazardly and in very poor faith, chosen to look at two of them, both involving building brand new. They will use the excuse that the province said in that study that they wouldn't entertain a renovation, but the REALITY is that a major renovation was PREFERRED OVER an open air stadium. Why? Because there is little to no incremental economic benefit from the open-air stadium over a major reno. What would the costs be for a minor and/or a major reno? 2010 figures $1-6 Million for "minor" renovation, and $109 Million for MAJOR renovation. (We're talking like the 1970's major renovation when they added the massive structure we now see there) AND in 2008, even Mayor Pat Fiacco himself said that he would rather pursue a renovation, "because I don't think there's an appetite for a new stadium here." Turns out, it's only $5.8M to upgrade washrooms, seating and other items. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2008/04/09/fiacco-stadium.html

PLEASE SHARE THIS TRUE INFORMATION WITH EVERYONE YOU KNOW - WE NEED TO GET THE TRUE FACTS OUT TO TAXPAYERS WHO HAVE BEEN SHAMMED BY THE PAST AND CURRENT CITY COUNCIL

No comments:

Post a Comment